The Student News of Yukon High School

The Insight

The Insight

The Insight

Pet for a cause

Emma Johnson
Petting the animals for a cause, students donated $1 per minute. Freshman Cameron Schroedter spent her time petting the horses, goats and holding the bunnies while waiting for her timer to go off.

The House of Healing brought animals for a petting zoo event to help gather donations for MILL Week. Students could pet horses, goats and bunnies during lunches for $1 per minute. Proceeds went towards the organization to help care for the farm animals and the students in the House of Healing.
“It was good,” freshman Cameron Schroedter said. “I knew [donating] helped a lot of people. I just love animals, and it was fun to do.”
During the petting zoo, there were chances to pet goats, to get in the pin to pet the horses and opportunities to hold the bunnies. Many participants decided to donate for their love of animals. They found interacting with the animals fun and appreciated that their money was going towards the foundation.
“I liked how they gave us a chance to hold the bunnies and get in the pin with the horses,” senior Evelynn Warledo said. “I can see why we are raising money for this. It seems like a good cause to me and also very interesting.”
This was the first year to have a petting zoo, some expected more animals to be shown. In previous years, MILL Week offered the pet a pup event where teachers would bring their dogs and students could donate to MILL Week to pet the dogs during lunches. This year, there were three bunnies, two horses and two goats to interact with and learn about.
“I did it because I love animals, senior Trinity Giannini said. “They were so cute and soft, definitely less smelly than what I thought they would be. I do wish there were more animals, maybe a cow or two.”

Updated on March 26th, 2024 11:33 am