Wrestlers Strive for Success

Cateyn McCarthey

Performing a front headlock, sophomore Jackson Bodine and freshman Dillon Ryan practice before the State Wrestling Tournament. The state meet was at the OKC fairgrounds on Feb. 26.

The wrestling athletes and coaches had a challenging but successful season despite regulations due to COVID-19. In January, it appeared that they wouldn’t be able to have a season because all of their first semester tournaments were cancelled.

“It put a strain on our progression,” coach Joseph Schneider said.

After winter break the athletes were finally able to kick off their season with new policies in place to limit close contact among the wrestlers.

“Partners stayed with the same individual for two weeks at a time to limit the spread of COVID-19, if there were to happen to be a positive test,” Schneider said.

Athletes were required to wear masks and do their best to social distance when necessary. Despite all the setbacks COVID-19 caused, the team still trained together and created a strong community among the athletes..

“COVID-19 has made us stronger as a team because we have had to overcome adversity,” junior Jonah Hanscom said

Athletes improved from last year’s accomplishments and expect a lot of success in the coming years.

“We have definitely outdone ourselves but there’s always more work to be done,” junior Lane Parks said.

The state tournament was on Feb. 26 with Parks taking place as the state runner up in his weight class.

“I’m so proud of the work ethic of this team and the way they push each other in the practice room each and every day,” Schneider said.