Selling snacks For Unified Soccer

Lucas Punneo

Special Olympians senior Angelic Operario, sophomore Brooke Hayes, paraprofessional Sara Littleton, freshman JT Hayes, and sophomore Rylee Hannah manning the Special Olympics bake sale stand for Unified Soccer.

From Dec. 6 to Dec. 10, Special Olympics held a bake sale in the rotunda. This sale consisted of Baked Goods, Cane’s tea, and lemonade. All proceeds went to Special Olympics Unified Soccer.
“Each kid has to raise $1,000, so in total, we have to raise $12,000,” Special Education teacher and coach Renee Shoaf said.
This will be Yukon’s first time going to Florida for unified sports and the team will consist of 10 students playing five v. five soccer. Unified Soccer isn’t the same as soccer though, the special Olympians will be assisted on-field by partners from Partners Club. Yukon also isn’t a rookie when it comes to unified sports in general, being the first school in Oklahoma to receive the Unifed Champions School Grant.
¨We were able to buy equipment to do all sorts of unified sports, unified soccer is one of them,¨ Shoaf said. ¨Yukon has been a leader and a pioneer in the unified movement across the whole state.¨
This didn’t just affect Special Olympics, the bake sale was also chosen to allow National Honors Society and Student Council to earn hours and community service points while also allowing Special Olympics to earn money for the USA games and helping students form connections with kids with disabilities.
¨I hope that we will be able to raise enough money so we get to go. It’s good for the student body to interact with my students while they are selling the baked goods,¨ Shoaf said.