COVID-19 vaccine arrives in Oklahoma

The vaccine will be distributed in phases in Oklahoma, with it first going to nursing homes, assisted living facilities and healthcare workers. (Photo by Martin Sanchez)

Coy Pope, Staff Writer

COVID-19 has been a long-lasting problem across the world, but with a vaccine looming, life could return to normal. The COVID-19 vaccine has been proven to be increasingly effective with Pfizer saying it has a 95 percent success rate, and it will become increasingly available in the coming months. 

Several companies have already sent rounds of the vaccine in places around the globe. 

The vaccine will be distributed in phases in Oklahoma, with it first going to nursing homes, assisted living facilities and healthcare workers. In phase two, it will go to first responders, adults over 65, staff at worksites such as homeless shelters, teachers and public health staff. Phase three will be students and other school support staff. The plan will also include critical infrastructure personnel. The final phase will be open for all Oklahoman’s to take the vaccine. 

A common question has come up with the topic of the vaccine, is it safe? Healthcare workers assure it is. According to NBC news, the vaccine has a 95 percent effectiveness rate. Despite this assurance, many people are still skeptical of the vaccine and the long-term effects.

At YHS, students are split on whether or not they should take it. Some students, like Harrison Hines, say they would definitely take it. 

“Yes, I will take it because I would like to go out in public without a mask on, and do more things like attending football games,“ Hines said.

While they suspected it was safe, others, like junior Eli George, wanted to wait and see how people reacted to the vaccine. 

“I wouldn’t take it immediately because there are so many different ways vaccines affect different people,” George said. “I would need to see how people with medical conditions, like me, take the vaccine and how they react.”

While there’s doubt in the minds of some students, others such as sophomore Garrett Shaver are completely fine with taking it.

“Yeah I would take it because it would help boost my chances of safety and it’s like the flu vaccine I get it every year to lower my chances of contracting it,” Shaver said.

Overall, if safe, the COVID-19 vaccine will be helpful for the community.