Digital Deception

Conner Carlow, Writer/Photographer

The thing we’ve been told since day one of our educational lives: Don’t cheat. We hear it as reminders before exams and as scolding’s after it’s been uncovered. However, with the coronavirus pandemic changing the way we learn, cheating has become all the more tempting for students looking to improve their grades.

“I get better grades when I get answers from online,” junior Deveny Zoski said. “It’s definitely more tempting.” 

Because the pandemic forced many schools to go virtual, students’ lives have shifted as some say the amount of school work given is more than what they would receive traditionally, while others say they are asked to do more by their parents when they are at home.

“While being at home in virtual learning, I am expected to help more around the house plus keep up with my job and sports,” Zoski said.

With every student having access to a Chromebook, the internet, or some type of other secondary device, being academically dishonest is easier and more alluring for some. Additionally, there are no requirements for students to turn on cameras or for teachers to use browser locking or proctoring software.

“I definitely think people cheat because there’s no one to be there to catch it as easily,” junior Bonnye Payne said. 

Even teachers have taken notice of this trend as some offer solutions to help curb the issue.

“I think during this time, the question we teachers have to ask is what or how do we evaluate learning,” math teacher Derrick Dorris said. “Yes, the integrity of tests are hard to uphold.; however, it just means we need to structure questions that are more researched-based, questions that ask how to compare or contrast.  As teachers, we need to understand what we are evaluating isn’t whether or not a student can restate information, but can we ask the question that makes the student implement the information.”

A study published from The University of South Carolina found that during Advanced Placement exams, which were held virtually because of the pandemic with no proctoring, Google search trends relating to that exam soared during the exam time. 

Google search trends around the time of the 2020 AP Exams
Source: Bilen, Eren & Matros, Alexander. (2020). Online Cheating Amid COVID-19.

“I try to stay as honest as I can,” Payne said. “But for others when you start you can’t stop, it’s taking away from people’s education. They aren’t really learning.”