The Importance of the 2021 Bond Issue

Dustin Berweiler

School bus advertises the district 2021 Bond to encourage the community to express their opinion and vote on Nov. 9th

https://www.yukonps.com/about_yps/bond2021 (Yukon Public Schools)

With future generations in mind, the district administration announced their 2021 bond which unveiled many new advantageous projects from simple infrastructure upgrades to brand new construction plans. On Nov. 9th people will be able to decide the fate of this year’s bond at their nearest polling station.               

Districts need the ability to finance their projects and to do that, they sell their bonds to investors which will be paid back over time. Property owners usually fund school districts so taxes are increased to fulfill the financial requirements. For these bonds to be sold, voters within the community must vote on a scheduled day. The possibility of taxes being increased usually causes some hesitation among voters, but this bond is a little different. If this year’s bond passes, taxes will remain the same since the current amount being taxed is enough to repay the bond in ten years, which works perfectly for the district. 

“As time goes on and we pay off those [2017] bonds, the new one comes in and we keep it level. We’re gonna keep it level over the next ten years. There’s no increase to your taxes, there’s no new taxes being put on, it’s just simply holding the bar where it is,” Superintendent Jason Simeroth clarified during a live stream on social media. 

First and foremost, the performing arts and career center. The goal of the performing arts center is to surpass the quality of the current auditorium, resolve existing problems and go beyond industry standards.

“[The current auditorium] doesn’t have much storage space. We have a lot of costumes and a lot of set pieces, but there’s nowhere to store them. There’s also no warm-up space,” theater director Megan Braden said. “We’ve been asked several times to host play competitions, but there’s no place for any of the schools to warm up. There’s no space for them to hang out backstage before they go on, so we lack a lot of extra space in our current auditorium.”

Not only does this project benefit high school students and teachers, but it also affects the town’s community as a whole. As competing schools and new programs utilize the performing arts center, businesses such as hotels, restaurants and shopping centers will avail to the visitors which, in the long run, will attract more businesses and industries to develop. 

“Our school district is the largest employer in the city. I think it’s second in the county only to Mustang. The business of Yukon is hugely important coming from our school district,” Simeroth said.

Since overcrowding has also become an occurring issue within the high school building, 12 new classes are expected to be implemented in the career center. These new classrooms will be occupied by electives such as media production, broadcasting, aeronautics, nursing, Health Occupation and Student Association, esports and Reserves Officer Training Force. The ultimate goal of the career center is to give students a greater opportunity at finding their niche and pursuing it as a career right after graduation, whether it be obtaining an associate’s degree or work certification. If taking HOSA, students can jump right into the medical field as a certified nursing assistant, or CNA, which can jump-start their future in a healthcare profession. 

“Vote yes, these kids are our future and it is in everyone’s best interest to invest in their success,” Facebook user Mindy Powell commented under a post discussing the community’s opinion.

An inclusive indoor activity facility is envisioned as a revolutionary project that will be used for years to come. Similar to the design and direction as the present athletic field, it’ll be advantageous for all athletics and even the arts, but since it’s not exclusive to a certain group, anyone in the student body can use the building as they wish. Currently, the marching band faces many obstacles with weather and sharing the field with athletes since there’s limited area for both to practice on. With this new facility, both programs can use both spaces as much as they need without running into each other.  

“Marching Band requires more than just go on the field, march and play your music. It’s very artistic now,” band director Diana Williams said. “This is going to become our indoor stage essentially.”

Continuing partnership with Southwestern Oklahoma State University, the career center will implement a satellite campus at the new building to allow students and adults the opportunity to pursue a degree in Yukon. 

“We are the only high school in the state that can offer a four-year degree on their campus,” Simeroth said.

Other projects that will be included in the bond are transportation, technology, security, infrastructure, playground equipment and renewed athletic and art equipment. Minor projects will take place as soon as possible, but according to the administration, major constructional projects such as the career center won’t happen until 2023. 

“We have to think long term and what’s going to be best for all the programs. All the facilities that are on this bond will help advance all programs in the future,” Williams says. “This is a long-term vision that’s going to be seen through generations of kids.”

For more information on what is to come and how other schools will benefit from this bond please go check out the school district’s website at www.yukonps.com/about_yps/bond2021