The Student News of Yukon High School

The Insight

The Insight

The Insight

Dare to Care: Uniting as one

Madyson O’Neale
The Mason brothers, History teacher Dustin Mason and Special Education teacher Trey Mason went head to head in a wrestling match during the dares assembly. They wrestled in a ball pit and the match ended in a tie.

The dares assembly took place in the main gym on March 11, 2024. The event cost $5 and helped raise money for the House of Healing. The dares depended on the amount of money that the school raised and were performed by teachers and students. A sign with a meter in the rotunda indicated donation goals for dares and the amount of money raised each day. The assembly was a way for the staff and students to come together and have fun for a good cause.
STUCO member Rylee Hannah felt that the assembly went well and that a lot of work was put into it.
“I think it went pretty smoothly, and I feel like there were a lot of creative ideas. It was very organized,” Hannah said.
Senior Capstone teacher and senior class sponsor Erin Lucas participated in the pie in the face challenge to show her support for the school. She loved doing things that would help support the school and that helped others, despite smelling soured milk for the rest of the day.
“They needed people to participate, and I love to do anything I can to help others, so if this is something I can do to help raise money, I’m game for it,” Lucas said.
Some of the dares performed in the assembly included pie in the face, the ice bucket challenge, McDonald’s Happy Meal shake, the Slurpee challenge. Faculty ran the milk mile, Wesley Pierce shaved his head and Tony Mashaw shaved his beard. The most exciting dare according to attendees was a wrestling match between twin teachers, Dustin and Trey Mason.
Senior Isabel Escobar felt that it was a good opportunity for students and teachers to participate in fun dares.
“I think it was a good way to get students involved and to actually go to things to raise money to help people,” Escobar said.
Lucas believed that this assembly and MILL Week as a whole was a great opportunity for the school to show their support. Not only for each other but for the community.
“I think that anytime we can come together as people and do something that’s going to benefit others brings a sense of community and togetherness because we’ve got a really special goal that isn’t just about us,” Lucas said. “It’s about things bigger than us and helping everyone.”