The Student News of Yukon High School

The Insight

The Insight

The Insight

News 9 Visits Yukon before Big Bedlam Showdown

Emma Johnson
Getting ready for the annual bedlam game, News 9 records the football, pom and cheer teams to gather spirit. As they went around the room videoing our millers; members of the band played the fight song for background music for the channel.

The Yukon Mustang bedlam was the biggest rivalry in Yukon and at no time was it more heated than when the schools faced head-to-head on the football field. Friday, September 22, Yukon was scheduled to play Mustang in the annual bedlam game, and the hype was at an all-time high the day of. News 9 made a trip to the high school Friday morning to cover the excitement for the upcoming game.
“I definitely think that setting this up and getting them on live TV helps hype up the players because, you know, they really get to boost their energy, they get an interview, they actually get their name out in the community and hopefully encourage more people to go back to the game as well,” Public Information Officer Kayla Agnitsch said.
For the second year in a row, Yukon Spirit has been featured on the news before a big game, last time against Edmond Stana Fe, this time against the Broncos, but Yukon Spirit does not come unchallenged with Mustang showing their own school spirit right back.
“This is the second year we’re doing it, so we’re excited that they came back and wanted to spotlight our school again,” Head Principal Melissa Barlow said. “They’re highlighting Mustang and us, so they’ve got reporters at both places. It’s really just a spotlight of our student school spirit today.”
This Spirit Assembly isn’t just important to the players but also to News 9.
“It means everything to News 9; everyone on our team looks forward to pep rally Friday, every single week because we love just getting into the community and showcasing what Oklahoma has to offer because we have such great high schools and teams here,” News 9 reporter Addie Crawford said. “It’s just so fun to see the kids have excitement and energy on camera.”

Visit News 9 story here.

Story updated Sept. 22, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.