Quarantine & Mask Policy Changes

Dustin Berweiler

Sign pointing to an isolated area located in the library indicating where quarantined students should go.

On Sept. 3, Yukon Public School communications sent out a message to parents via school messenger which announced the return of required masking. Within the message, a video was embedded which features Superintendent, Dr. Jason Simeroth.

“On Sept. 1 there was an injunction issued against the ban on mask mandates in our public schools,” Simeroth said. “The caveat to this conjunction was that if schools do have mask requirements that they allow parents to opt-out on the basis of medical, religious, or personal reasons.”

On Sept 4, the opt-out period started. Parents got an automated voice call which allowed them to choose whether or not their child will be wearing a mask during their time on school grounds. If the call was missed or parents decided to further discuss with their child or spouse they still have the opportunity to head to the district’s website and fill out the opt-out form.

As the message states, “A similar form will also be available online for families to document their choice and can be accessed at [our website} starting Saturday”

The temporary injunction was backed up by many pro-mask groups such as “Moms for Masks” which are a group of mothers on Facebook fighting for the protection of their children’s health at schools by promoting the use of masks and advocating for a ban on State Bill 658. Many parents and even doctors filed a lawsuit against the bill which led to their successful outcome of keeping communities safe while still allowing a choice on masks to be made within families.

“Today’s ruling on SB658 in Oklahoma District Court is a victory for parental choice, personal responsibility, and the rule of law,” Gov. Kevin Stitt announced on his Facebook page. “I have been clear from the beginning that parents should have the right to make decisions about the health and education of their children.”

The district’s decision to reimplement a mask mandate isn’t the only dramatic change that occurred in the past month. Recently quarantine policies have been rearranged under the influence of the Oklahoma State and Canadian County Health Department. On Aug. 27, an email was sent out to parents and students alerting them about the changes to the quarantine process. The email contains a short synopsis of the updated policy followed by another video from Simeroth.

“We were alerted today that the option [to quarantine] has been removed,” Simeroth said. “Our state department of health [and] our local county health department have told us that we have to quarantine students that were in close contact with someone who was positive.”

Simeroth also mentioned within the video that students exposed to COVID-19 may still be eligible to stay in school and avoid having to quarantine.

“Again the letters will describe some conditions by which you don’t have to be quarantined,“ Simeroth said. “Say for instance you’re outside three feet of this person who is a known positive, or if you had COVID within the last ninety days after you’ve come back from it, or if you’ve been vaccinated.”

Athletics and other extracurricular activities are at risk with these changes as students become quarantined, leaving sports teams and band members absent from participating in games, meets, or performances. Head varsity girls cross country and track and field coach Rod Zimmerman expressed his concerns about the changes and the potential effects they have on his track team.

“We’ve already lost five people in quarantine this week so that’s pretty serious when you lose two of your top five runners, that’s a pretty big deal. I think that can be pretty drastic but it’s a week-by-week deal,” Zimmerman said.

Data presented on Yukon Public School’s website displays Yukon High School with a higher total of positive cases and quarantines compared to other schools within the district which can lead to adversity at our school if quarantines and cases proceed to rise.

Data reflecting the number of positive cases and quarantines within the district.

“At the same time we are attempting to make our schools safer as we continue to move forward in a positive fashion to maintain our in-person instruction,” The district said.

As of Sept. 8th the Oklahoma health department informed Yukon Schools about their changes regarding the quarantining process.  Quarantines are now back to being recommended rather than being strictly enforced.

“The Oklahoma State Health Department has changed their stance on quarantines, and are now recommending them instead of making them required. In following their guidance, YPS will only recommend quarantine to those exposed to Covid-19,” stated the email sent out to parents and students.

This article was edited 09/15/21